Political Campaign Sign Placement
ACHD Policy Section 5104.3.5, Ordinance Number 224
Jim Pickard
Inspection Coordinator
Tell Us

The Ada County Highway District Commission has adopted an ordinance regulating signs that we hope will make it easier for you to know where to place your signs while also ensuring that safety is maintained for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

Candidates are welcomed and encouraged to place signs where they will do you the most good – as long as they are far enough back from the roadside or intersection to avoid creating a sight obstruction.

 Provisions of the ordinance include:

  • No sign placement can create a visual barrier for drivers, pedestrian or cyclists trying to navigate the roads
  • Signs must be placed outside of the vision triangle, a space 40 feet back from the point in the intersection where the curb lines or the edge of pavement on roads without curbs would meet near the center of the intersection (please see Figures 1 and 2).
  • Signs must be placed no closer than 6 feet behind the back of the curb or 12 feet from the edge of pavement on roads without curbs (Figure 3).
  • No sign can be placed in roadway landscaping areas, including in medians, in roundabouts or within the parking strips between the curb and the sidewalk.
  • No flashing lights or effects, which could create a hazardous distraction, are allowed.
  • No signs can be placed on signal poles, on traffic signs or on any other piece of public road infrastructure.
  • Signs must be removed within 48 hours of the election.

Ada County and the cities within Ada County may have sign ordinances that are more restrictive than ACHD Section 5104.3.5. If so, the more restrictive standard shall apply. It is the responsibility of those placing signs in the public right-of-way to be aware of those regulations.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What happens if my sign is placed in a location that violates ACHD’s sign ordinance?

A: The ordinance governs ACHD enforcement authority to remove signs that are placed within the public right-of-way in a location that violates the ordinance or are otherwise creating hazards specified in the ordinance and the option to recoup the costs for enforcement. If you believe that any sign is placed in a manner that violates ACHD’s sign ordinance, please contact ACHD’s Traffic Services Department at 387-6140.

Q: What happens if my sign is placed on public or private property without permission of the property owner?

A: Signs placed on public property (non-right-of-way) or private property without the permission of the property owner are a violation of Idaho Code Section 18-7029 and are subject to criminal misdemeanor prosecution by the county or city prosecutor. In the event you believe that a sign has been placed in a manner that violates Idaho Code Section 18-7029, please contact your local law enforcement office. ACHD is not responsible for enforcing any violation of this criminal statute.

Q: What does ACHD do with the signs it removes?

A: If ACHD removes a sign that is determined to be in an unsafe location, it will hold the sign at its headquarters, located at 3775 Adams St., Garden City. If you believe that ACHD may have removed your sign, it is best to call and confirm. ACHD can be reached at 387-6100 and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q: How soon after Election Day do I need to remove my signs?

Signs must be removed from the public right-of-way within 48 hours after the election.

Q: Who should I call if I have questions about sign placement in the public right-of-way?

If you have questions regarding where you may place your campaign signs, please call ACHD’s Traffic Services Department at 387-6140.

Click to see state law and municipal ordinances regulating sign placement.