Thursday, June 09, 2011
Boise- With more than 1,500 competitors set to swim, bike and run their way through Boise on Saturday (June 11) for the Boise Ironman 70.3, motorists should anticipate impacts to area roadways throughout the day and plan accordingly. A combination of closures, detours and delays can be expected on both ACHD and ITD roads. Course maps and information about the event are available on the Ironman Boise web site: www.ironmanboise.com. Or use these links: Bike Course Run Course
This weekend’s Ironman race to impact Boise traffic
The Ada County Highway District (ACHD) is working with Boise City, Ironman organizers, Boise Police, the Ada County Sheriff’s Office, the Idaho Transportation Department and others to make the event possible. Competitors will start the race on Saturday at noon with a 1.2-mile swim at Lucky Peak, will bike 56-miles from the State Highway 21 starting point and will complete the triathlon with a 13.1-mile run, ending in Boise’s downtown.
Already this morning, a road closure was put in place on 8th Street between Myrtle Street and Front Street in preparation for this weekend’s race and will be in effect through Sunday morning (June 12).
On race day, ACHD will have a traffic operations engineer stationed in its Traffic Management Center who will monitor traffic in the east/southeast Boise and downtown areas and will adjust traffic signal timing as needed to keep traffic moving efficiently. Boise Police officers and Ada County deputies will be stationed along the course and will help residents get in and out of businesses and residences during the event. Flaggers and volunteers will also help along the course route at intersections and driveways.
Along the cycling course, there will be impacts to areas such as Columbia Village, South Eisenman Road, Bown Way, Warm Springs Avenue, Boise Avenue and Bergeson Street and Federal Way where cyclists will be sharing the road with vehicles. More information on these impacts can be viewed at www.achdidaho.org.
Closures (includes ACHD and ITD roads)
Expect Delays and Detours (includes ACHD and ITD roads)
- 8th Street from Broad Street and Front Street
- Closed Thursday, June 9 through Sunday, June 12 at 8 a.m.
- South Capitol Boulevard from Myrtle Street to Front Street
- Closed Friday, June 10 at 4 p.m. through Saturday, June 11 at 2 a.m.
- Front Street from Capitol Boulevard and 9th Street
- Closed Saturday, June 11 from 8 a.m. to Sunday, June 12 at 1 a.m.
- I-84 at Eisenman Road
- Closed from 12:40 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- South Eisenman Road from Interstate 84 to Factory Outlet
- Closed from 12:50 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Pleasant Valley Road from Gowen Road to Ten Mile Creek
- Closed from 1:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Ten Mile Creek Road from Pleasant Valley Road to South Cole Road
- Closed from 1:20 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Federal Way and South Capitol Boulevard from Protest Road to Myrtle Street
- Closed from 2:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m.
- West Front Street from South Capitol Boulevard to 9th Street
- Closed from 2:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Broad Street from Capitol Boulevard to 9th Street
- Closed from 2:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Myrtle Street from South Capitol Boulevard to 9th Street
- Closed 2:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Directional Impacts (includes ACHD and ITD roads)
- Idaho 21 from Lucky Peak Dam to Warm Springs Avenue
- Road open, but expect delays between 12:20 p.m. and 2:20 p.m.
- Idaho 21 from Warm Springs Avenue to Technology Way
- Detour through Surprise Way, Amity Road to Federal Way between 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Myrtle Street from I-184 Connector/13th Street to 6th Street
- Detour to Main Street from 2 p.m. and 11 p.m.
- Front Street from 6th Street to 9th Street
- Detour to Idaho Street between 2 p.m. and 11 p.m.
- Bown Road from Warm Springs Avenue to Boise Avenue
- Expect delays between 2:10 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.
- Boise Avenue from Bown Road to Holcomb Road
- Expect delays between 2:15 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.
- Gowen Road from South Eisenman Road to Pleasant Valley Road
- West-only traffic between 12:50 p.m. and 4:45 p.m.
- Warm Springs Avenue from Idaho 21 to Bown Road
- North-only traffic between 2 p.m. and 5:40 p.m.
- Holcomb/Bergeson from Boise Avenue to Federal Way
- East-only traffic between 2:15 p.m. and 6 p.m.